Saturday, December 18, 2010

One Month Later

I have officially passed the one month mark since I moved to Port-au-Prince, Haiti. I celebrated Thanksgiving and was on lockdown due to political violence for over a week with 1 Spaniard, 1 Italian, 2 Scottish, 4 Irish, and nearly a dozen American architects. I have been unable to do any interviews with anyone here in Haiti, one thing among many that has not gone according to plan. However, I have met journalists, artists, and many other aid workers in fields such as family reunification, cholera treatment and prevention, women's safety, agriculture and poultry industry revitalization, as well as temporary housing and schools. The work is slowly becoming less chaotic, but it is rare to be able to say, "I solved that problem once and for all."


The house has quickly emptied out over the past week for the holidays, many volunteers going home for the first time in 3 months. We've discussed amongst ourselves what we will enjoy most about going home or going elsewhere for the holidays, and the number one topic? Being able to stroll in the street, casually, without looking over one's shoulder. Other notables: taking a hot shower, drinking tap water, and being able to machine wash clothes. Not to mention, privacy! 

Of course, there will be plenty to miss, including a highly unconventional office where everyone comes home with you at the end of the workday (despite that, you manage to stay friends). I consider myself lucky to be coming back in January, when I will finally be an old hand in comparison to the fresh crop of volunteers. As well, I will be beginning job interviews and hope to have exciting news to report soon on that front.

I will be in Cuba this holiday season, with limited access to internet, so please check back in 2011! Bon Voyage... 

2 comments: